Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Holding Out For A Hero

First snow of the season. I really love the snow - it makes everything beautiful and quiet and clean. I just wish it wouldn't fall on my driveway.


Lucky for me, I have amazing roommates who did most of the heavy-lifting when it comes to shoveling, so all I did when I got home was remove the few inches of powder that had accumulated. It was very peaceful as I listened to my iPod and watched the snow fall. As I listened and worked, a song from "Country Strong" came on with the lyrics, "You can be hurt by love, or healed by the same. Timing is everything."

I'm a pretty strong person. I do a decent job of taking the bumps in my life into stride and keep a smile on my face while I'm at it. I believe we are meant to be happy in this life, and I also believe it's my responsibility to choose happiness. That being said, there is one thing I don't handle very well: heartbreak. I'm not a rational, hold-it-in, don't-show-emotion, give-me-a-week-and-I'm-over-it kind of breakup woman. It's bad - like Adele or Taylor Swift bad. I do, however, learn from each heartbreak and become a little better each time. During one of my heartbreaks, I was talking with a good friend and she said something that I found profoundly true. "People say that time heals all wounds. That's not true. Love heals all wounds."

A little over a year ago, I was going through one of the deepest heart breaks I have ever felt. It literally felt like my world had shattered and there was no way I could be ok again. But the most amazing thing happened: my sister had a baby. Here was this perfect, beautiful, amazing manifestation of love. And each time I would hold him close to me, it felt as though my heart was completely healed. The pain could not stay in the presence of so much love. Just as light chases away the dark, love chases away the hurt. I have always felt that he was a huge tender mercy in my life.


I spent Thanksgiving with 3 of my 4 sisters in Arizona. We laughed and talked and cooked and just enjoyed the few hours of time we had together. My sisters are such gorgeous, amazing women and they teach me how to be a better person. And they are raising amazing kids, who also teach me to be a better person. One time when my brother told his son that I was coming to visit, he asked, "Is she the aunt that kisses?" Yeah, that's me. I LOVE being around them, and talking to them, and joking with them, and occasionally wearing matching clothing with them.


Love heals all wounds. Nerd alert on this quote, but I think it's great. "Love is like Pi: natural, irrational, and very important." As far as the romantic side of my life goes, I'm holding out for a hero. But my hero won't ride up on a white horse in shiny armor and sweep me off my feet to his rich kingdom with his gallantry. More than likely, he'll listen to me rant and rave about how awesome pivot tables are. He'll probably laugh when I get really excited about the cool rock formation we found on a hike. Inevitably, he will hold me when I'm having a bad day and start crying even when I don't really understand why I'm doing it. He'll forgive, he'll let me be human, he'll let me serve him, he'll be excited to be a father, and he'll be willing to laugh with me through the insanity of life. Can't wait.

"Where’s the street-wise Hercules to fight the rising odds . . ."

2 comments:

  1. Great post Amy, I think a lot of young single adults can relate to the concept of waiting for someone who isn't a fairly tale dream boat, but a normal good person who we can be happy with for the rest of ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love this!!!!! I can relate with the love you feel when you hold that baby! It is a miracle!

    ReplyDelete