Monday, November 25, 2013

My Life is Like My Shoes

Life is all about love, and love leads us to serve. Yesterday I was released as Relief Society president in my singles ward - I've been serving for over 3 years in this calling, excepting a four month break when I changed wards. I've been surprised how emotional I've been about it, but when I step back and look at everything I've been able to experience, it's not all that shocking.

One of the greatest things about these kinds of callings are the people you get to serve with. I've met some of my best friends through the presidency; they are the most amazing women I have ever met. Strong, beautiful, intelligent, kind, thoughtful, amazing. I'm a better person for associating with them, and I will miss the almost daily collaboration towards a good cause.


In life, it's so easy to get caught up in the "thick of thin things," and when life is clouding up our vision, the long term perspective seems to fade into the background with the pressing needs of today. This leads me to look toward the heaven and question if my Heavenly Father is really paying attention to what's going on. So often I want prayer to be like ordering a pizza, so I'll know how much it will cost me to get what I want, and how long I'll have to wait. But then how would we learn faith and patience and long suffering? Over the past 3 years, I have seen the Lord work in so many incredible ways. I know without a doubt that He is aware of every heartbreak, every triumph, every concern, every doubt and that He has a plan to help us become the best we can.


As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we promise to "mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those who stand in need of comfort." I'm so incredibly grateful for the chance I've had to get to know the sisters in my ward. We have laughed and cried together, shared advice and experiences, and watched each other's lives change again and again. What amazing women there are in this world. There is a power in women when they bond together in a common cause.

This calling has meant hundreds of hours of love, conversations, prayers, baked goods, text messages and service. I'll miss the certainty of knowing that I'm making a difference. I'll miss the comradery of working towards a common purpose. These are all selfish, of course, and this is merely the passageway to a new phase of my life. Here's to whatever lies ahead of me! The following is one of my favorite quotes by Spencer W. Kimball that I try to emulate in my life:

"My life is like my shoes; to be worn out in service."

No comments:

Post a Comment